There are some of us that are completely willing to admit that we have the attention span of a rodent and that the wind changing direction is enough to distract us. As amazing as it might sound, they say that we are often incredible entrepreneurs… That is, if we can complete one project before dashing after the next brain storm.
That being said, there are some ways and gadgets that I, for one, depend on to stay focused and complete projects so my business stays afloat (which is always a good thing). Allow me to share some with you:
1) Most important item to me is my planner and I don’t mean digital, I mean my Franklin with real paper! I find that the act of physically writing something down helps me remember that it exists. For some reason, if it’s digital it doesn’t seem real to me.
2) My iPod helps me tune out distractions. With kids running about, it’s extremely difficult to stay focused on writing and or work and not being able to hear the nonsense helps immensely.
3) Keep lists, goals, and vision boards clearly within view. It’s all too easy to forget what’s important and what you’re working toward. Reminders that each day you need to take action and move toward that goal are of utmost importance in staying focused.
4) If you need to use a timer like you would for a child and work in set amounts of time (Remember? I have the attention span of rodent). Setting timers, especially helps with the jobs that are most tedious and nightmarish (like filing).
5) Likely the most effective habit is also nearly impossible for some of us to pull off… Work OFFLINE! There are just FAR too many distractions to that wonderful world that is the Internet. Fall back on that timer if need be to control this. Good luck, I’ve yet to accomplish this one.